Energy Assessment

All domestic, commercial and new-build buildings in the UK that are made available to buy or rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). 

Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances, EPCs tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). EPCs let the person who will use the building know how costly it will be to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be.

The EPC will also state what the energy-efficiency rating could be if improvements are made, and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating.  

Energy efficiency standards for rented properties are changing, and properties will soon be required to have an EPC rating of D or E. At Marsh & Riddell, we can also provide tailored recommendations on changes that would improve the EPC score of a property.

Kieran Riddell

Director Kieran Riddell is a multi-disciplined energy assessor and is fully qualified to carry out Domestic, NonDomestic (levels 3 and 4), and On-Construction (New Build) EPCs. Kieran works closely with a number of architects, local housing associations, letting agents as well as private vendors and with his background in Building Surveying he is expertly placed to advise on all energy efficiency related queries.

Domestic EPCs

It is a legal requirement for a Vendor (selling domestic property) or Landlord (renting or leasing domestic property) to provide a valid and registered EPC for a prospective buyer or tenant. 

The certificate itself is valid for ten years from the date of issue, and must be displayed in the dwelling it describes. Alterations to dwellings may make the certificate invalid, in which case a new certificate must be provided.

Marsh & Riddell possess a wide ranging experience in providing EPC certificates for Registered Social Landlords, Private Landlords and Private Vendors and we can produce the certificate within 24 hours of carrying out the survey. 

Non-Domestic EPCs

A Non-Domestic EPC is required when a commercial property is intended to be built, or made available for sale or let, this is a mandatory requirement that must be carried out whether or not any formal marketing has taken place. There are a few exceptions for example, places of worship, temporary buildings, agricultural, or if the building is due to be demolished.

The sale and let of commercial buildings can be complex with multiple tenancies and uses. Whether you need a single or multiple EPCs may depend on the heating systems and your future plans for the building.

On-Construction (New Build) EPCs

An On-Construction EPC is required for every new dwelling (including conversions). A Completion Certificate cannot now be issued by Building Control unless the EPC has been submitted.

The EPC is produced as the final stage of the As Built SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) calculations, and it must be prepared by an accredited OCDEA (On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor).

At Marsh and Riddell surveyors we are highly experienced in the preparation of SAP calculations and On-Construction EPCs for all project sizes, from single houses to large social housing developments throughout the UK and currently work closely with a number of architects to deliver new housing that complies with the current building regulations.


When is the EPC required?

An EPC should be provided to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity and no later than when a viewing is conducted or when written information is provided about the building. Even if no marketing takes place it must be provided before entering into a contract to sell or let.

How long is an EPC valid for?

An EPC is valid for up to 10 years, unless a newer EPC is produced for the property, in which case only the latter is valid.

What happens if I do not have an Energy Performance Certificate?

The penalty for failing to make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant when selling or letting non-dwellings is fixed, in most cases, at 12.5% of the rateable value of the building, subject to a minimum penalty of £500 and a maximum of £5,000. There is a default penalty of £750 where the formula cannot be applied. The EPC will still be required.

What if I have a building that is subdivided into separate parts?

Selling or letting a building as a whole: You need an EPC for the whole building. If that building has parts designed or altered to be used separately with separate heating systems then it is also permissible to provide EPCs for each of the individual parts, plus an EPC for any communal areas. 

Selling of letting part of building, where the building has a common heating system: If a building has a common heating system, then the seller or prospective landlord can prepare an EPC for the whole building or for the individual part designed or altered to be used separately (in which case Communal areas are ignored).

Buildings with separate parts and separate heating systems: An EPC should be prepared (or made available) for each part of a building that is being offered separately for sale or let. If selling or letting the whole building it is permissible to provide EPCs for each of the individual parts plus an EPC for the conditioned communal areas or provide one EPC for the whole building.

Residential accommodation: Any separate residential accommodation that is self-contained will require its own domestic EPC. Residential space that can only be accessed via commercial premises (i.e. a house with a shop in a downstairs room or a shop with accommodation where the access is through the shop) will be assessed with the commercial premises as a single building.